-- Victoria Secunda
You know, nothing beats two napping babies and a cup of coffee in the late afternoon, with dinner simmering away on the stove just begging to be eaten. I'm not going to eat it now, of course, it's still raw..But oh how it smells delicious already! The house is clean, laundry chugging away upstairs, and I am feeling at peace in all the peace and quiet.
It's times like these that I just take a look around at all the blessings of my life and smile. I wonder what my little ones are dreaming of and hope that it is of only good things. Jelly beans and butterflies for Chenda and, well, I can't say what Kali might be dreaming of since she can't talk of her favorite things yet, but maybe something along the lines of sugar and spice and everything nice?!
It was the other night when I was laying in bed with Chenda trying to get her to fall asleep for the night. She closed her eyes and cuddled me and layed her head in the crook of my arm, and I thought back to when she was a baby. The way she used to shake her head just to keep herself awake. How, when she finally lost the battle to keep her eyes open, she fit so perfectly in that same part of my arm that she was laying in just now. The same place her baby sister lies just in just the same way... She still fits perfectly, just in a different way. She's much bigger now!
So I was laying there in the warm light of her night light thinking back to those days when she was so small. Just a couple of years have passed, and yet even though they flew by in no time, they seem so long ago. I tried to think of what the next two years would bring, how I would remember today...and though we never know how things will pan out, I prayed it will only be happy times coming our way.
She made my heart happy today when she kissed her baby sister on the cheek over and over and said "I lah you baby!". I'm sure you can guess what that means. I am so happy she has a sister to share her life with just the same way I did (I have two wonderful beautiful sisters who are my best friends). Things got off to a rocky start, as they almost always do when a new baby is brought into a family. Chan and I spent a few nights breaking up "fights" between them, snuffing out fits because she was receiving less attention. But that only lasted a short time and now she is so proud of her baby, making sure EVERYONE knows she is hers by kissing her on the cheek in public and every once in a while giving her a territorial "love tap" on the head *insert eye roll here*.
Kali loves her big sister too, she's always cracking up at the crazy things Chenda will to do make her laugh. Today Chenda was laughing extra silly because it made baby sister smile and giggle. The first thing either of them want in the morning is to see each other. I lay Chenda next to the baby and she touches her face and says "Hi baby! Hi Kali!" and baby just looks at her and smiles. It's true sisterhood is a bond of friendship from birth. Of course I know this in my own experience but it is so amazing to watch it come to life before my eyes. At such a young age they know they are meant to love one another and be friends.
My greatest prayer for them as sisters is that they will always be there for each other, even long after their parents are gone. Of course there will be fights, I know how it goes, one of them takes the other's make up on a weekend trip out of town (oh yeah Katie, I still remember that), or takes something out of the others closet (a large downside to being practically the same size as your siblings). But I pray that even when the dramas of female life is being slung at them, they will stand beside each other, and kiss and make up when they argue. I pray they will walk head on into the world hand in hand looking after one another through thick and thin, turbulence and clear blue skies.
The bond of sisterhood is one that is strong and unwavering when it is fed appropriately, and I fully intend on feeding theirs until it is so fat it can't get up and walk away.
A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.
-- Isadora James





No comments:
Post a Comment